Fans are enthusiastic: since February 15, 2022, all nine seasons of the comedy series “The Office” have been available on Netflix.
The successful American mock documentary, which was awarded an Emmy for “Best Comedy Series”, is based on the British series of the same name, which was also adapted in Germany under the name “Stromberg”, and is about life in an open floor plan. office for a paper wholesale company.
In one of the most iconic scenes in the series, the character Kevin Malone presents his famous chili. You can find the scene in episode 26 of season 5. A TikToker (@mckenziefloyd) has now found the original recipe for this, including a list of ingredients and detailed instructions – hidden in the terms of streaming provider Peacock. The streaming service also started recently in Germany. More information here.
How to cook Kevin’s famous chili true to the original
You need these ingredients:
- 4 dried ancho chili
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (vegetable oil, rapeseed oil or grape oil)
- 3 pounds (1.36 kg) minced meat (80/20 or 85/15 lean)
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- . Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 bottles of beer (lager or pale ale)
- 3 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 dl nut broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained natural salt
- Chopped green onions, shredded jack cheese and sour cream for topping
And here’s how to proceed:
1. Cut the anchochili into pieces and remove the seeds and stems. Then roast the chillies in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes. Then put the roasted chilies in a food processor or spice grinder and grind them very finely. Set it aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high and fry the ground beef, stirring occasionally, until nicely colored, about 6 minutes. Then transfer the beef to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Now put the onions in the pot and cook them briefly (about 2 minutes) on medium heat so that they barely soften. The secret is not to overcook the onion.
4. Use a garlic press and press the garlic directly into the pot, one wedge at a time. Then stir in jalapeños, oregano, cumin, cayenne and tomato puree. Boil this, stirring regularly, until it smells, about 2 minutes. Now add the beer and let the mixture boil while stirring for about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the beans in a large bowl and mash them lightly with a potato masher until they are broken but not completely mashed.
6. Now add the mashed beans, the broth, the tomatoes, the salt and the cooked beef to the saucepan, cover and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. Then remove the chili from the heat and leave it uncovered for at least 1 hour (it can also be left in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight).
7. Then gently heat the chili, taste, salt if necessary and serve with the desired accessory. For this, chopped spring onions, shredded jack cheese and sour cream are recommended.